Saturday, June 21, 2014

Status: Unemployed

This seems like a good way to start my art blog, by telling the internet world that I do not have a job.  Awesome.  Let me clarify, I did not quit my job with the intention of being a full time artist.  In my entire artistic career I have sold a grand total of I think four pieces.  Two of them to family...so does that really count?  I still got paid so... maybe?  One painting I sold for $350!  So awesome right!?  To a collector no less!  I cashed that check and went straight to Preston Art Center in Louisville, KY and got new paint, brushes, and basically all the stuff that I'd always wanted but could never justify paying for.  A brush case, pencil case, new silicoil jar, and one of those things that you put your paint tube in and crank it and it pushes all the paint to the end of the tube so you don't waist as much.  Thank goodness I did that!  I bought all this stuff about 2 years ago before I moved to Chicago, and now that I'm unemployed I'm not freaking out about not having paint!

That $350 check is the only one I've seen, the other checks have been more along the $30-$60 range.  Not exactly a jumping up and down, run to the supply shop kinda check, but it's a few more 'Meredith C Yelton' signatures out in the world I guess!  By the way, if you're a fan of Hawaii Five-0 (the more recent version) keep an eye out for this:


I got a sweet (but actually really terrible) sunburn drawing this.  I sold it on Etsy to the TV show for set decor.  Which totally made up for the sunburn!  How cool is that!?

All to say that, given my level of exposure as an artist, it would be pretty stupid of me to quit my job to be a full time artist.  Recently I read that a 'starving artist' is not really an artist, if you're starving, you can't make art.  No, sadly, my workplace became a place that I dreaded going to everyday, for multiple reasons, and I decided it was time to get out of there.  I've been working at a leasing agency for almost 2 years, I've had enough of selling apartments!

So here I am, jobless, and putting out applications and resumes like crazy!  (I just got a call from Target!) In the meantime, I'm using my sudden abundance of free time to work on my art, start this blog, and basically be a full time artist, before I rejoin the work force!  

Keep an eye out, I'll be adding photos of more of my work soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment